Sunday, June 23, 2013

Project #2


       I visited the Metropolitan Museum of Art in Manhattan. I am so glad I went. The place was amazing. It was huge, and there was so much to see. There were so many pieces I loved, but I can only choose 6 for this project.


A.) Which artworks make an impact or impression on me? Why?
Antonio Canova, Perseus with the Head of Medusa, 1806
This marble sculpture of Perseus had an impact of me because this statue was among the largest pieces in the entire museum, it is very intimidating, and powerful.

 
Burgoyne Diller, Second Theme, 1963
This piece had an impact on me because I specifically remember doing an art project in elementary school based on Diller's work. I knew the name of the artist the moment I saw his paintings and I knew I would use this for the project.


B.) Which artworks do I feel a connection with? Why?
Giorgio de Chirico, Self-Portrait, 1911
I feel a connection to this 1911 piece mainly because the man in this painting looks a great deal like my father. This was one of the first paintings I saw in the modern art section, and I knew it would be one of the paintings I used for this project. I love my father very much, this painting could easily be of him.

Charles Sheeler, Americana, 1931
I feel a connection to this painting because it reminds me of my grandpa. We always love playing chess and backgammon together at the kitchen table. The place in this painting looks similar to his house. My grandpa would love this painting just as much as I do.

C.) Which artworks would I like to know more about? Why?

Rene Magritte, The Eternally Obvious, 1948
I would like to learn more about this painting and the women painted in it. She has a look similar to a girl I used to be involved with. I want to know this women's connection to the artist, where she was from, and what she did for a living.

Max Beckmann, Beginning, 1949
I love this painting, there is a great deal going on. The woman looks like she is smoking something, a man is riding a rocking horse, there is a cat hanging from the ceiling, and a sad Native American man. I can not really figure out what the artist was trying to tell his viewers, maybe there is a party going on. Either way, I would love to learn more about this painting and what it truly means.


2 comments:

  1. First, wow you went to the Metropolitan Museam of Art in Manhattan, then I take it your not from Buffalo. Very cool to see pieces from another gallery, I would love to visit this gallery. I sadly have never been to NYC for a long enough period of time to explore it. Secondly, I enjoyed your choices for each question. Especially your choices for the pieces you'd like to know more about. I would also like to know more about both of those pieces. I wonder if the artist for the first piece was showcasing how often women are reduced to our body parts and not as a whole?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Logan, the paintings you saw at the Metropolitan Museum of Art all the way in Manhattan are amazing! Have you ever been to the Albright Knox here in Buffalo? The painting you posted a picture of that caught my eye the most is the Max Beckmann, Beginning, 1949. I love that the painting is so busy and there is a lot that can be seen emotionally. I also like the colors used within.

    ReplyDelete