Sunday, June 9, 2013

Project #1: Elements and Principles Slideshow

Project #1: Elements and Principles Slideshow Reflection

http://s46.photobucket.com/user/coop12591/slideshow/

I very much enjoyed this project. It gave me a chance to be creative in different ways than I am accustom to. I had a great deal of fun taking photos for this project. I just recently moved to a new house with my dad, and I wanted to get pictures specific to my new surroundings. It was enjoyable to look at my new house very closely, and in an artistic manner. I took pictures specific to the subject matter given with my dad's Nikon digital camera.

1. Line- This was one of the last pictures I took. It was difficult for me to decide what type of shot I was going to use because line can mean so many different things. But eventually I chose to take a picture inside of a bush in my backyard. I feel the vertical branches give a good representation of line.


2. Value- Though I wish I played piano, I do not, luckily my dad does. It is an important part of his life, and I feel it was a perfect opportunity to include that love into my slideshow. Value is the degree of light and dark in a design. It is the contrast between black and white and all the tones in between. What better way to show value than a piano.



3. Shapes- This is one of the more simple shots I chose. I specifically like this picture because of the effect I put on it. I love how the green is popping out of the shapes of the backyard.

4. Forms- In my backyard there is a family of bees. I'm pretty sure they were honey bees and they were not going to sting me, so I was not in any real danger. I tried to get as close up as possible to the bees feeding on the many flowers. This is one of two good shots I got of the bees.

5. Space- The new house my dad and I moved to is on a golf course. This is the hole my house is on; the par 5 7th hole. This picture shows a great deal of space; 537 yards of it.

6. Color- This is the other shot I got of the bees. I feel this is probably the best picture I took for this project. I snapped the picture right as the bee was flying to another flower. There is color everywhere in this picture from the flowers, to the leaves, to the bee.

7. Texture- This is arguable my best picture as well, and it was also my first picture. I took this photo in the morning after it rained all night. I love how we can see the water on the bush. You can distinctly see the moist texture of this picture.

8. Balance- Balance is created in a work of art when textures, colors, forms, or shapes are combined harmoniously. The sky to me is one of the most harmonious things in nature. I took this picture today, it was so beautiful out, harmony was everywhere.

9. Contrast- This picture is my neighbor's backyard. I feel there is a great deal going on in this picture. Different trees, different plants, perfect to show contrast.

10. Movement- I took this picture while I was watering the plants. It was a very hot morning, water was the one thing I wanted to move the most.

11. Emphasis- This is a picture of my childhood friend Lance Corporal Gregory T. Buckley Jr. who was killed in Afghanistan on August 10, 2012, he was 21 years old. He was a great friend of mine. He was my neighbor, I spent most of my childhood hanging out with him at the park near our houses. His death hit my hometown of Oceanside, NY very hard, he was a very popular kid. Everyone loved him and everyone will miss him. Not a day goes by when I don't think about him at some point during the day.

12. Pattern- This is a pattern of my car, my 2001 Nissan Pathfinder, or the "COOP 5". This car is pretty old now, but it still runs great. It has over 125,000 miles on it, and I love driving it.

13. Proportion- This picture is of the glass table in my backyard. This table means a great deal to me because it is one of the few items that survived hurricane sandy. My house got severely damaged during the storm and not many items survived, this table is one of them. I always liked the proportional leaves on this table.

14. Unity- This statue was in the backyard when my dad and I moved in. He wanted to throw it out, but I liked it and I convinced him to keep it. I love unity between these two angels, I love the unity between my dad and I. I loved this project.

2 comments:

  1. Great pictures Logan! I especially loved your movement shot; I wish I had thought of it. I struggled with movement, I ended up using a picture of the traffic in Toronto. Perfect depiction of movement, you can almost feel the cold water as it runs from the faucet. Your color shot was great, it also showcases contrast. The bright pink is offset perfectly by the bright yellow of the bumblebee. The texture shot is fantastic!!! The texture is not only in the plant but on the water beaded up on the plant. Another element I found in this shot was line, the lines created by the leaves moves the viewer around the entire picture. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Logan, your pictures are phenomenal. You can tell there is great meaning behind every image. My favorite photo that you used in your project is photo of the bees, how cool! You captured the image perfectly to exemplify the meaning of form. Fantastic job.

    Ally

    ReplyDelete